24 April 2018

KELELAWAR MALAM


This outfit is so all over the map that it's impossible to hone in on one vibe or one genre. And epic funeral metal dirge to open, followed by melodic horror punk, weird blues influences and classic '80s SoCal all collide in Indonesia to create Nokturnal - a collection of EP tracks, a split with GHAUST and a handful of live recordings from the early '10s. The simple fact that KELELAWAR MALAM land so far outside any recognizable realm only reinforces the fact that DIY music outside of the so-called First World is infinitely more interesting than whatever the current cool thing is. I'm not saying your favorite record label releases shit records....I'm just saying that 5 minutes into "Jalan Gelap" my mind starts to melt and I wish I was in Indonesia. 



No comments: